Thursday 24 February 2011

The Obligatory Introductory Post

Howdy!

If you are reading this, welcome to my blog! My name is Katie, and I readily admit that my experience with blogs is fairly limited, so please bear with me as I begin my journey into the blogosphere.

Although the idea of an online journal has always appealed to me on some level, I have been hesitant to start up a blog of my own in the past because, quite frankly, the whole concept strikes me as being incredibly self-indulgent. (Which I still believe to be an accurate assessment, for the record...)

Yet here I am, risking coming off as boring, irrelevant, narcissistic, pretentious, or perhaps even worse to any number of my friends, family or complete strangers who happen to stumble across this page. (And yes, I am fully aware that assuming there actually is an audience out there makes me susceptible to exactly those kinds of accusations!)

So why am I here? And what makes me think anyone would be interested in what I have to say? After all, when I asked my boyfriend, speaking purely hypothetically, if he would read my blog were I to start one, his response was scornful laughter followed by outright refusal.

The truth is, I am here mostly for myself. (Admission of self-indulgence #1...) I have always found writing to be a good way to work through my thoughts, and to try and find some clarity. At this particular time in my life, I find myself especially in need of such an outlet, as I have recently entered the final six months of my masters degree and am getting closer and closer each day to becoming *gulp* an adult in the real world.

This fact is simultaneously exciting and absolutely terrifying to me! I also have a lot of unanswered questions about the future – of the world in general and myself in particular – and I am hoping that by blogging about my experiences and ambitions that I will be able to figure some of them out. Or at least inspire some useful, intelligent conversations...

So why not just keep a journal instead of posting online for the entire world to see? Quite simply, the answer is that I am not disciplined enough to keep up a journal on my own. This is something I have come to terms with after nearly two decades of abandoned diaries, journals and notebooks, much to my disappointment. Maintaining a regular blog will be a challenge for me, but I hope to stay motivated by the support of my imagined reader(s?). (Admission of self-indulgence #2...)

I am also intrigued by the possibility of feedback that may offer a fresh perspective on the topics in my blogs (#3!) and am looking forward to reading any opinions others may have (and that makes #4...).

Plus, it seems like a pretty good way to keep in touch with friends and family and to keep them updated about what’s going on in my life. So, now that you know a little bit about me and my reasons for being here, let’s get on with it, shall we?

The inspiration for this first posting comes from the 2010 film by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, Cemetery Junction. The major theme of the film is expressed by the lead female character, Julie Kendrick (Felicity Jones), in an exchange with Freddie Taylor (Christian Cooke), when she quotes an Arab proverb: “Throw your heart out in front of you, and run ahead to catch it”.

The sentiment is not original, of course. Most people have heard the Latin phrase, “Carpe Diem”, which loosely translates to “Seize the day”. A less eloquent yet simply effective way to put it that comes to mind is the Famous Players slogan I first heard while working at the theatre as a teenager: “Go big or go home”.

However you phrase it, this notion of going for what you want in life – taking chances and putting yourself at risk – is very inspiring to me, and is one of the philosophies by which I am attempting to live my own life from this point forward. I expect that 2011 will be a year full of changes and challenges for me, especially with graduation so rapidly approaching. And while the future is anyone’s guess, I firmly believe that through writing I will be able to more clearly understand where my particular path is leading.

So, I will leave you now with these thoughts to ponder, and the promise of more to come. Sign up to follow my blog if you are so inclined, and please feel free to comment whenever you like, whether you agree with me or not. I’m really excited about this opportunity to get into a regular writing practice again!

6 comments:

  1. I think this is an excellent first post. :) I look forward to following your travails and triumphs. I use to blog, but then I fell out of practice. Perhaps I should dust it off and come play again. WhooooOOooot you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused about how to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, somehow it knew it was me. I am no longer confused as how to post. I have read this one, and if somehow the computer reminds me to, I will continue to read the rest. Good first blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Thank you for inviting me Katie! Great first post, I look forward to many more! *cheers!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind words, all! :0)

    And Mark, I wasn't trying to force you into reading it... ;0) If you really do want the computer to remind you though, you have a couple of options. You can become one of my followers (see top right), and then you'll be notified about new posts. You can also choose to subscribe by e-mail (below the post a comment option).

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe... I am a follower of you! It isn't so self-indulging since you are also indulging others as I am looking forward to reading your upcoming blogs as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete