Wednesday 13 April 2011

'What's Happening Wednesday', Updates on My New Writing Projects, and PEN Canada

Howdy everyone!

Since I vowed a few days ago to stop being the Master Procrastinator, I have been busy brainstorming ideas for several new writing projects. I've even - cue the applause - done some more writing and published a new article on my Calgary Creative Writing Examiner channel! I know it's only one small accomplishment, especially considering that most real freelance writers seem to be able to crank out two or three articles an hour, but I'm happy to be able to report that I'm finally getting somewhere, albeit at a much slower pace than I would like.

The new article is the first in what I hope will be an ongoing series of articles for Examiner.com, called "What's Happening Wednesday". Because I am the Calgary Creative Writing Examiner, it is my responsibility to report local events related to creative writing, so that's exactly what this column will be dedicated to, every Wednesday. It requires a bit of research, but I spent a few hours this evening compiling a list of literary events happening in Calgary and the surrounding area between now and the end of May, which should cut down the time it will take to write and publish the next few installments. 

In addition to "What's Happening Wednesday", I plan to start contributing at least one other article to my Examiner.com page each week, most likely dealing with some of the topics I outlined in this post.

I've also been busy filling out applications for other online freelance writing opportunities since my last post, and have officially been accepted as a Factoidz Writer on Factoidz.com, and a Contributing Writer on Suite101.com. I signed up as an author with Constant Content too, and I am waiting to hear back about a position with Bright Hub.

I have yet to publish on any of these sites, but I already have a lot of ideas for potential articles. Since my Examiner.com page focuses on creative writing, I think I will tackle some of my other areas of interest and try out new kinds of articles where I can. Suite101 allows its authors to write on any subject they like, so I want to get into writing film reviews for their Film & TV section. I already have a pretty good idea what my first film review will be about, so look for that soon! I really like that I am not restricted in what I can write about for Suite101, and am interested in writing for some of its other sections such as Food & Drink and Travel as well.

Factoidz offers the chance to write product reviews and other assigned articles, though many of them seem to be in American cities, which might limit my opportunities somewhat. I will have to keep checking the available assignments, though I expect I won't write for them as often as Examiner.com or Suite101.

Constant Content is a different kind of site from any of the others I have mentioned so far, in that it is a place for writers to post articles they have already written (on any subject) for publishers to purchase, and set their own prices and rights. Publishers can also request articles on specific topics on Constant Content, so I will have to keep checking there as well, to see if I am knowledgeable enough to write any of the requested articles.

Posting an article on a requested topic does not guarantee that it will be bought, so there is the risk that writing for Constant Content may not yield any sales. That isn't such a big deal to me right now though, since I am working more for experience than anything else. I don't expect to make a living off my writing (yet!), although it would be pretty cool if someone liked an article I wrote enough to buy and publish it...

The area I have applied for on Bright Hub is different from my other subjects as well, in an attempt to get more varied experience writing about a range of topics. I would like to write about Online Learning for Bright Hub, and explained in my application that I can offer a unique perspective given that my BA is from Thompson Rivers University (a brick and mortar institution) and the fact that I am currently working on my MAIS degree through Athabasca University (an online school). I have firsthand experience with both face-to-face and online delivery methods, and am particularly interested in the unique challenges that online learning poses for both students and professors. One of my courses at AU dealt specifically with the issues female students face in a distance learning environment.

I am also concerned with perceptions of online education, especially when it comes to the opinions of potential employers of graduates from online learning programs. For my research methods course at AU, I drafted a proposal titled "Perceptions of Online Education Versus Face-to-Face Delivery Methods" which explored this topic. The Bright Hub website claims it takes about a week to review each application, so I will let you know when I find out whether or not I've been accepted. Even if I am not, however, I still think I could find other places to write about online learning and other related issues.

In addition to all my big writing plans, I have also been doing a lot of reading lately. I am still keeping up with the freelance writing blogs listed here on my blog, and have added a new one this week. I started reading a book I bought in Vancouver too, called Writing Life: Celebrated Canadian and International Authors on Writing and Life, the third in PEN Canada's series of books about writing, meant to raise money for the organization.

If you have never heard of PEN Canada, I strongly urge you to check out them out. This quote from the PEN Canada website explains briefly what they are all about:

"PEN Canada works on behalf of writers, at home and abroad, who have been forced into silence for writing the truth as they see it. PEN Canada is for debate and against silence. We lobby governments in Canada and internationally; organize petitions; send letters, faxes and postcards for the release of persecuted writers; and conduct public awareness campaigns about freedom of expression. We work for the release of imprisoned writers internationally, against censorship nationally and for networking and professional opportunities for writers living in exile in Canada."

Most of the proceeds from Writing Life and other merchandise go to PEN Canada, but they also rely on donations. This week I became an Associate Student Member for only $25, and am proud to help support such an important cause. If you would like to join, or simply read more about becoming an Associate Member, click here.

Well I guess that's about all for now! When Aunt Joan asked me last week, isn't writing my thesis enough for me, I think I was right when I said no... Between working on my final project for school, freelance writing for all of these websites, promoting my articles online, keeping up with blogs and e-mails, and regularly updating this blog too, I just don't think there will be enough time to be the Master Procrastinator anymore!




No comments:

Post a Comment